APEGA Engineers & Geoscientists responsibility levels Канада

Содержание поста:


Frequently Asked Questions

It is the law. The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act, an Act of the Manitoba Legislature, states that to legally practise Engineering or Geoscience in Manitoba, you must be registered as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba or practice under the supervision of a Professional Member of the Association.

To become a P.Eng. or P.Geo. you must either enroll as an intern with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba or transfer in as a P.Eng. or P.Geo. under the inter-association mobility agreement with another provincial engineering or geoscience regulator. However, there is no transferring of status at the pre-registration level.

No, the ECA report in which you obtained for immigration purposes and the WES ICAP document-by-document report are different reports.

Please login to your WES account and upgrade your report, be sure to add Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba as a recipient of the report. Note: The easiest way to do this is to Login to MyAccount on the WES website and clip on «Update Report»

Confirmatory examinations are assigned to confirm the level and quality of your academic training. They are professional-level examinations, covering material typically studied in the final two years of a bachelor’s program.

Confirmatory examinations are assigned to confirm knowledge that you have, therefore, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will not waive confirmatory examinations based solely on the fact that you have taken courses that appear similar to the assigned examinations. The assignment of confirmatory examinations should not be taken as an indication of the quality of your degree(s).

The pre-registration program is a mandatory pre-requisite to registration as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, with a few exceptions (See Applicant Type). You must participate in the pre-registration program while you obtain the work experience necessary to become registered as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist. See Pre-Registration for details.

Everyone claims work experience using progress reports submitted through their online profile. In certain cases the paper progress report form can be used. Administrative fees will be levied on those reports that are submitted late, if the person did not go through the academic assessment process first. Former assessment applicants are exempt from late fees since they have already paid for their academic assessment. However, they should still try to submit as promptly as possible.

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba requires all applicants for registration as Professional Members to have obtained at least four years of acceptable work experience, normally following academic qualification, under the guidance and supervision of a registered Professional Engineer or a registered Professional Geoscientist. The supervisor assumes full responsibility for the technical quality of the Intern’s work. At least one year of this experience must be obtained in Canada.

Acceptable work experience is defined as comprising the practice of professional Engineering or professional Geoscience, which must include the application of theory, as well as exposure to the areas of practical experience, management, communication skills development, professionalism, ethical responsibilities, and the social implications of Engineering or Geoscience.

See Work Experience for details, including downloadable PDFs outlining acceptable work experience for Engineers and Geoscientists.

As an Intern, you will participate in a structured program to guide, record, monitor, and review the progress and quality of your work experience.

As part of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba’s mandatory pre-registration program, you and your supervisor are required, for every 12 months of your experience (or more often, if you change jobs), to submit progress reports describing your work experience. Our Experience Review Committee will consider these reports, and will notify you of any concerns it may have regarding your work experience.

To obtain credit for your Research/Thesis based Canadian M.Sc. in engineering, you should do the following:

  1. Complete the M.Sc. including the thesis
  2. After becoming an Intern, submit the following documents to the pre-registration program coordinator:

  1. Copy of the M.Sc. diploma
  2. Copy of the official transcripts showing the completion of the M.Sc.
  3. The date on which you started the M.Sc. and the date on which you completed the M.Sc.
  • Twelve months of credit towards your M.Sc. will be added to your profile. Please note, however, that if you are working full time while doing an M.Sc., you can get credit for only one of these. Also, if the M.Sc. is your only Canadian engineering/geoscience experience, you will still be required to get an additional 12 months of Canadian engineering/geoscience experience. Also note, that this credit is contingent on your having a Bachelor’s degree as well as a Master’s degree in engineering or geoscience. If you had an undergraduate degree other than engineering or geoscience, you will not be able to get credit for the M.Sc. because it would be considered part of your educational (rather than experience) requirements.
  • Please note that while twelve months can be credited, it is still possible in certain cases for an Intern to require more than 48 months to complete the pre-registration program. Please review the Acceptable Engineering Work Experience (PDF) or Acceptable Geoscience Work Experience (PDF) documents.
  • To obtain credit for Phd or post-doctoral work, you should complete your progress reports as you would any other progress reports, except you must indicate which portion of time was devoted to thesis work or the teaching of 3rd or 4th year engineering courses and which portion of time was devoted to other activities. This is done by clicking the — Are you claiming for post-graduation experience? button at the beginning of the progress report.

    Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will allow up to 48 months of credit for a Phd, however, the reports should be detailed with plenty of examples and should clearly follow the Acceptable Engineering Experience document or the Acceptable Geoscience Experience document.

    Submitting your thesis in its entirety, or simply submitting a list of published papers is not considered a progress report and you will be asked to resubmit a report that does not clearly demonstrate the criteria that we are requesting.

    Your work should clearly demonstrate your own research/design experience and should focus on issues and challenges that you may have encountered while doing this work — e.g. tight timelines, working with challenging co-workers, budgetary constraints, etc. and how you have solved them.

    If you have recently moved to Manitoba, and have obtained Engineering or Geoscience work experience elsewhere, submit progress reports and supervisor reports for all Engineering or Geoscience experience obtained outside the province as soon as possible after admission as an Engineering or Geoscience Intern.

    Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will consider these reports, and will notify you as to the acceptability of your previous work experience. You and your supervisor(s) will be required to submit additional progress reports, until you are eligible for registration as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. All feedback from the Experience Review Committee goes back to your online profile, so you must log in to check.

    Foreign work experience may count for up to three years of your work experience requirement. This time is verified using the normal progress reporting process. However, the supervisor for the reporting period does not have to be a P.Eng. or P.Geo in Manitoba. To use the online reporting system, you will have to give your supervior guest password access.

    At least twelve months of your work experience must be obtained in Canada, or in a Canadian environment such as a Canadian company abroad. In the latter case, these situations will be assessed on a case by case basis and the onus will be on the applicant to make the case for the similarity of their experience to an equivalent Canadian situation. In many instances, the work must have been performed in Canada � for example, where there are climate considerations or where the work experience is deemed significantly different from an equivalent Canadian experience. The Experience Review Committee will make the decision regarding the suitability.

    If you were an Academic Assessment applicant, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will consider work experience that is gained only after the date of academic qualification normally. Check your letter of academic qualification which you would have obtained at the end of the assessment process for this date. Normally, the date of academic qualification is the date of your Bachelor’s degree. In some instances, depending on the assessment, the date of academic qualification may be the date of a later degreesuch as the Master’s or Phd. This may happen, for example, if your first Bachelor’s degree was not in engineering (or geoscience).

    Pre-graduation credit will be considered, if absolutely necessary, following the same set of rules set out for pre-graduation credit. For those applicants who have more experience, it is often unnecessary and inadvisable to apply for pre-graduation credit since more current experience is considered the most relevant and should be claimed first.

    The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act requires that all Engineering and Geoscience work be performed by, or «under the immediate and direct personal supervision and guidance of», a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist «who assumes all responsibility for the work.» There must, therefore, be a Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist supervising your work.

    If there is no Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist at your place of employment, and if your work involves the practice of Professional Engineering or Professional Geoscience, you must have regular contact with a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who assumes all responsibility for your Engineering or Geoscience work (a mentor). Ideally, your employer will engage the Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist to serve as a consulting supervisor to you while you obtain the necessary experience.

    You must identify your supervisor(s) in your progress report forms, and you will be expected to advise immediately if your supervisor ceases to assume responsibility for your work and you are unable to find another Professional Member to supervise your work. Both the mentor Engineer or Geoscientist and your direct (non-member) supervisor should complete their portions of the progress forms for each reporting period submitted for review.

    Reasons for delays include:

    • Unresponsive supervisors — As an Intern, you are responsible for encouraging supervisors to complete reports promptly. However, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will urge supervisors to act upon your request and if you have already tried to do so
    • Discipline-specific reviewers are unavailable
    • Too many reports to process at a given time
    • Your file(s) requires more clarification or discussion

    Throughout your formative period, you will be expected to enhance your professional and personal development by taking courses and seminars, attending conferences, becoming involved with technical and professional organizations, etc., and generally developing a commitment to life-long learning. As a part of the pre-registration program, you are required to develop an appreciation of the volunteer nature of the profession, and to participate in volunteer service activities each year.

    Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba has adopted national guidelines, which require a minimum of four years of work experience. While the work experience procedures may vary slightly from province to province, the work experience you obtain in Manitoba should be eligible for consideration by another association. As well, your successful completion of the Professional Practice Exam (PPE), which is a national examination, will exempt you from having to write a similar exam in any other province.

    Contact the association in your new province as quickly as possible to establish its requirements.

    Many prefer to complete the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba program once it is started, even if you move to another province.

    No. Please submit a longer and more detailed 36 month report. Do not submit shorter intervals if you have been working under the same supervision, and you are submitting after the fact.

    It is important when sending a longer report that your report shows PROGRESSION. For example, you may describe less detailed projects at the beginning and more detailed and complex projects later in the report.

    Administrative late fees may be applicable and will be assessed after ERC approval.

    Both your report and your supervisor’s comments must be received at least two weeks before an ERC meeting to be considered eligible for the agenda. This does not mean, however, that the report will necessarily be reviewed at that meeting. While we make every effort to have your file reviewed, we cannot guarantee that it will be reviewed at the first meeting it may be eligible for.

    There are many reasons a file may not make it on an ERC Agenda. Here are some of them:

    1. The reviewers are discipline-specific. If the right disciplines are not available that month, there is no choice but to delay.
    2. Some reports span multiple disciplines and we must make a best guess as to the correct reviewer. That reviewer may subsequently indicate that they are not able to review, and the file will have to be forwarded to another reviewer the following month.
    3. For some uncommon disciplines in Manitoba, such as petroleum engineering, or chemical engineering, we may need to find suitable reviewers, and finding these individuals can be difficult.
    4. At some times of the year, reviewers may take holidays and there will be fewer available than usual. Since reviewers are volunteers, we cannot compel those that remain to take up the slack (though many very graciously do).
    5. Near the end of the program, after 40 months confirmed experience, we will be requesting final references. The ERC prefers to review the final report along with the references in one sitting. We may therefore hold a file until this information is complete. (We understand that there may be a misconception that only the Registration Committee reviews the references. This is not true — both the Experience Review Committee and the Registration Committee review references).

    We recognize the importance as you transition to a fully registered member, and will do everything in our power to make your file proceed in as timely a manner as possible, but please recognize these constraints.

    The computerized NPPE provides access to a large selection of test centre locations in Manitoba and across Canada. When you first register for the NPPE through your online profile, you will specify your preferred location where you would like to write the exam.

    20 days prior to the exam, the locations are finalized based on demand and availability, you will receive an email from Yardstick Testing Centre inviting you to book your desired location from the available test centres. Your confirmation email will include all details (test centre location, date, timeslot and additional instructions for exam day).

    Please contact the Pre-Registration Coordinator for the session cancellation deadline.

    We strongly advise that you maintain a membership in at least one Canadian association. This will make the process easier if you wish to reinstate your membership with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. All the provinces follow the inter-association mobility agreement and while some associations have residency and citizenship requirements, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba does not.

    Watch your time limits! For example, if you retire, then later wish to return to become a practising Professional Member, this is most easily done within four years of going on retired status.

    Everyone who is eligible for U.S. Mobility MUST start as a Temporary licensee. This is because one of the requirements of full U.S. mobility is the writing of the National Professional Practice Examination or NPPE. It is only possible to write it after you are in the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba system (or from another provincial associations’ system).

    Once you have written and passed this exam and provided you meet the other criteria for U.S. Mobility (see below), you may apply for U.S. Mobility, usually at the time of your next renewal period. You may elect to apply earlier than the next renewal period, but an application fee will still be charged.

    The NPPE is a two (or three) hour closed book exam written by all Canadian engineers and geoscientists in all provinces. It is NOT the same as the ABC test which is open book and unique to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.

    In the very unusual case where you may have written the Professional Practice examination already, but for some reason are NOT registered in another Canadian province, please contact the Registration Coordinator or Director of Admissions for guidance.

    1. Graduation from a ABET/EAC accredited engineering program (or geoscience equivalent) within the continental United States.
    2. Passing of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and the Professional Engineering (PE) exam(s) through NCEES.
    3. Currently registered and in good standing in at least one U.S. State.
    4. Have completed a minimum of four years of approved engineering experience as indicated by you NCEES record.
    5. Passing of the National Professional Practice Examination (NPPE)

    The implementation of the specified scope of practice licence in Manitoba requires Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba to honour the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) and recognize individuals who’ve already been granted a limited licence in another Canadian province.

    The specified scope of practice licence provides a pathway to limited licensure for individuals with a non-traditional academic background. This category of licence recognizes the combination of education with extensive experience as potential qualification to qualify for practice in a specific scope of engineering or geoscience.

    Successful applicants will ascribe to, and be held to, the same standard of skills, professionalism, and ethics as professional members.

    A specified scope of practice licence is a new category of licence which allows non-engineers and non-geoscientists to practice in a specific scope of engineering or geoscience discipline. Typically applicants will be diploma holders who have years of experience which falls within a specific scope of engineering or geoscience.

    The practitioner will be granted the privilege of using the title Engineering or Geoscience Licensee (Eng.L or Geo.L) and they will be issued a seal that is distinct to their licence.

    To be eligible for the Specified Scope of Practice Licence you must meet one of the following conditions:

    • You currently hold a Specified Scope of Practice Licence (limited licence) with another Canadian provincial association, OR
    • You have a degree or diploma in applied science and technology with a minimum of four years in-scope experience (8 years including schooling), OR
    • You have a degree or diploma in science or equivalent in math, physics, and basic sciences, with a minimum of four years in-scope experience (8 years including schooling), OR
    • You have a non-accredited degree with a minimum of 15 years experience in your proposed scope of practice. (please note that this option may take longer to process).
    1. Persons who believe that they have these qualifications apply to the Association and complete the Application for Admission which includes: Degree(s), detailed resume, and Discipline of Practice Form.
    2. Those who appear to meet the criteria will be given a login profile and will be asked to pay a non-refundable application fee ($500.00 as of January 9, 2020). Once paid, they will be able to write the Act, Bylaws and Code of Ethics (ABC) test and submit the rest of the required information online. Once submitted, your file will be forwarded to the Experience Review Committee (ERC) for a detailed review of your resume, education, references and proposed scope of practice.
    3. If accepted, the applicant will be eligible to write the National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE) at the earliest opportunity. Exam signup will be through your login profile.
    4. Once passed, the file will be forwarded to the Registration Committee for the next available meeting.
    5. The Registration Committee will review the work and approve the applicant as a licensee provided they are satisfied.

    Progress reports are very detailed documents describing your work experience that you have accumulated over the years.

    Each progress report should cover only one employment position. An employment position means employment which is supervised by one supervisor. For example, if you worked under three different supervisors/departments in one company, then three different reports must be submitted and three different supervisors would attest to that experience.

    Очень важная для вас статья:  Пеший маршрут на озеро Петджил (Petgill Lake)

    Reports MUST clearly detail your experience in the specified scope in which you wish to practice. The format and scope of the reports are described in the following:

    These reports must cover all criteria outlined in these documents, and contain plenty of details and examples to reflect the attainment of this criteria. It is important that you provide detail on challenges faced as well as unusual or difficult aspects faced on each project. The sample reports we have on the website are for engineers and geoscientists but these can be used as a guide.

    To illustrate, the following comment is not sufficient:

    • Scheduling — I was the lead scheduler for a challenging renovation project.

    The following comment is better and reflects what you actually did:

    • Scheduling — I providing the scheduling for a multi-discipline renovation of a 5000 sq. ft. commercial property in downtown Winnipeg. This project was challenging because of the varied tenancy of the building and the numerous trades and vendors involved. Timelines were very tight as there was a fixed deadline for occupancy, and one piece of the equipment was highly specialized with a long lead in time for delivery. Due to the unique nature of this equipment (a specialized pasta maker), local contractors were unfamiliar with the installation requirements and specialists had to be hired to ensure proper functioning.

    All progress reports are done online using our automated system and all must be approved by your engineering/geoscience supervisor for the time period during which you did the work. It is expected that these reports will take a certain amount of time and effort and the quality expected is high. Reports that are not adequate will be rejected (or time-reduced) by the Experience Review Committee (ERC) with a request for re-submittal.

    No. The person must choose which path they are planning to follow. If they have an engineering or geoscience degree they should apply for the P.Eng. or P.Geo. to become a full member NOT a specified scope of practice licensee. If they are rejected, they could potentially pursue limited licence instead.

    No. However, if a person later obtains an engineering or geoscience degree, an upgrade path may be considered.

    Yes. We will process their application in the same way we process an engineering mobility application. The person will normally be allowed the same scope in Manitoba as in the other province.

    Each applicant must submit a Discipline of Practice form with their application. The proposal will be reviewed and then approved by the Experience Review Committee. Sample scopes from other provinces may be helpful for applicants to consider in order to streamline the application process. Some samples are available here: https://apeg.bc.ca/Member-Directories/Limited-Licensees-and-Scopes-of-Practice

    No. Not according to our legislation.

    At the time of this writing, there will be an initial non-refundable admission fee of $500.00. Once fully approved, the dues will be the same as the dues for professional members.

    Yes, if the experience has been gained within a Canadian environment.

    While we will accept a certain amount of experience earned out of country, at least 12 months of experience must have been earned within a Canadian environment, supervised (or mentored) by a P.Eng. or P.Geo. registered in the Canadian province, where the work was done, who had detailed knowledge of your work within the specified scope, at that time.

    Because of the likelihood that those claiming for foreign experience would NOT have been supervised or mentored by a Canadian P.Eng. or P.Geo. , applicants who are claiming for any experience gained outside of Canada will NOT require that it be supervised (or mentored) by a P.Eng. or P.Geo. registered in a Canadian province. They will, however, require the comments and feedback of a supervisor (or mentor) who is recognized as an Engineer or Geoscientist within that country, who had detailed knowledge of their work within the specified scope at the time.

    See questions 21 and 22 for the definition and explanation of ‘mentoring’.

    No. All reporting must be done using the online system. If this is absolutely impossible, please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator to discuss options.

    Yes. Once you have attained your Eng.L or Geo.L you will be subject to the Continuing Competency Requirements in the exact same way as the P.Eng’s and the P.Geo’s.

    This process is new to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, and the time to process will depend on the quality, content, completeness and volume of applications we receive.

    One report per employment position. The total time period for the reports must equal the experience requirement for your application condition. For example, if you completed a two-year diploma program, the total applicable experience requirement toward that licence would be: six years (of which two years are direct on-the-job experience and at least four years are directly in the specified scope). There must therefore be progress reports covering a total time frame of AT LEAST six years before the application is reviewed. The experience must be current.

    Yes, as long as it is corroborated by an engineering (or geoscience) supervisor who is recognized as such in that country AND there is at least one year of experience shown that is directly supervised by a P.Eng. (or P.Geo) [within Canada]. Out-of-country experience is claimed by using progress reports in the same way as in-country experience is and is subject to the same criteria as per the Acceptable Engineering Experience Guideline and the Acceptable Geoscience guideline. Experience documented MUST be within the scope in which you wish to practice.

    We will use the same list used by the Certified Technicians and Technologists of Manitoba (CTTAM) http://www.cctt.ca/accreditation/accredited-programs Degrees/diplomas accredited by the Sydney Accord are normally considered accredited. Other degrees and diplomas will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

    The purpose of the work experience requirement is to demonstrate that you are able to put your education into practice. If you are working in an area that differs from your discipline of graduation, you may well require additional training or education, which will mean that you will likely require more than the minimum to obtain sufficient qualifying work experience. Every case is different however, so please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator if you are uncertain.

    In this case, you will require TWO people to sign off on your progress reports — your direct supervisor AND an additional mentor engineer (or geoscientist) who was aware of and able to comment on your work at that time. It will be up to you to contact that person and have them agree to act as your mentor.

    In this case, you will require TWO people to sign off on your progress reports — your direct supervisor AND an additional person recognized as an engineer or geoscientist within that country, who was aware of and able to comment on your work at that time. It will be up to you to contact that person and have them agree to act as your mentor.

    You are eligible to write the NPPE once your experience and references have been approved by the Experience Review Committee. Read more about the NPPE. When you are eligible you will be able to register to write this exam through your online profile.

    Usually, it’s best to stick to the province in which you have started the process, complete the process in that province, and then go through via the mobility agreement. This may vary depending on your case, so please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator if you are considering moving before completion.

    Please contact Chantelle Cabral, Pre-Registration Program Coordinator, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba if you have any additional questions. If necessary, you may contact by telephone, but e-mail is preferred.


    Geoscience is a broad discipline and the term geoscientist refers to anyone whose work focuses on the earth’s systems

    Geoscientists are often involved in the discovery and development of commercially viable and exploitable reserves of natural resources, such as oil, gas, minerals and water.

    Others work in areas such as seismology, volcanology, environmental protection, land reclamation or oceanography.

    Whichever area you’re working in, you’ll be studying the physical structure of the earth — how it was formed, the processes involved, and how it’s changing.

    Job titles within geoscience vary depending on the specialist area of work and include:

    • geophysicist
    • geologist
    • geochemist
    • hydrogeologist
    • mining engineer
    • sedimentologist.


    Tasks vary depending on the area of geoscience you’re working in, but you’ll typically need to:

    • collect geophysical, geochemical and geological information in the field from seismic and well data and other sources
    • monitor the acquisition of data to ensure consistent quality
    • interpret the data using sophisticated technical software to determine subsurface geology and the economic importance of natural resources
    • develop geological models of the earth’s subsurface to understand the geological structure, rock characteristics and the likely distribution of oil/gas/mineral-bearing strata
    • assess the potential quality of mineral and hydrocarbon resources
    • collaborate with drilling engineers to determine drilling locations on the basis of the interpretation of the data and models developed
    • produce and present geological maps and reports to colleagues and clients
    • perform detailed geological risk analysis of proposed exploration targets
    • plan and undertake an exploration drilling programme, after collecting and modelling all available data
    • plan the location and trajectory of development wells
    • work in multidisciplinary teams to create well proposals
    • create new opportunities to access remaining reserves
    • implement new technologies in geological modelling and seismic processing
    • advise engineers and senior management on geological factors affecting exploration
    • use satellite imagery, gravity and magnetic surveys for evaluation purposes — this may be part of your role if you’re working in exploration
    • make assessments through study of well core and well fluid samples — in some roles.


    • Starting salaries are in the region of £28,000 to £35,000.
    • Typical salaries at senior level range from £40,000 to £75,000 per year. Salaries at the highest level can reach well in excess of this.
    • Salaries can vary considerably between industries, with higher salaries in the oil and gas sector, for example. Other factors affecting salary levels include the type of work you’re involved in and your employer, location, experience and qualifications.

    Benefits such as a pension, private healthcare and life insurance are often provided. Bonus schemes tend to be performance-related. An allowance may be made for offshore or overseas work.

    Income data from myOilandGasCareer.com. Figures are intended as a guide only.

    Working hours

    Working hours vary depending on the sector and employer. Some geoscientists are based in offices or laboratories and have regular working hours. Other work requires unsocial, irregular or long hours. For example, geoscientists involved in exploration can expect time abroad or at sea followed by a similar length of time on leave, and then the same length of time based in the office.

    What to expect

    • Physical conditions may sometimes be tough and demanding.
    • Self-employment and freelance work is possible. With experience, you may be able to establish your own consultancy in a particular field such as base metal exploration or sedimentology.
    • The availability of jobs depends on your area of specialism. In the UK for example, jobs in exploration and interpretation are mainly based in South East England and Aberdeen. Positions are available worldwide in oil and mineral exploration and there are small specialist consultancies across the UK. Minerals exploration is almost exclusively overseas.

    • Working as a geoscientist can involve lots of travel abroad or at sea depending on your area of specialism.


    Relevant degree subjects include physical, mathematical and applied sciences. The following degree subjects may increase your chances of entry:

    • earth sciences
    • geochemistry
    • geology
    • geophysics/geotechnology
    • geoscience
    • mathematics
    • physics.

    Jobs available on graduation include:

    • monitoring drilling activity
    • well logging
    • site investigation
    • some posts with the Environment Agency
    • quarrying and aggregates.

    Although it’s possible to enter a career in geosciences straight after your degree, many graduates go on to further study in order to learn specialist skills before applying for jobs.

    A postgraduate qualification, such as a Masters degree in geophysics or geoscience, or a PhD in a relevant area of geosciences (such as geophysics, petroleum geology, hydrogeology or sedimentology), may improve your employment prospects and long-term career development. This may, in turn, lead to a higher salary. Further study can also provide opportunities to make contacts through projects within industry or attendance at conferences.

    In some companies, it’s possible to start as a technical assistant and progress through to a full geoscientist role.


    You’ll need to have:

    • strong IT, numerical and computational skills, to handle large data sets
    • excellent communication and interpersonal skills
    • flexibility and the ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
    • the ability to express ideas and findings clearly, both orally and in writing, to produce reports and make presentations
    • observational skills
    • the ability to learn quickly, work to deadlines and under pressure
    • analytical and problem-solving skills
    • good project-management skills
    • attention to detail and the ability to record information accurately
    • a commitment to continual learning.

    Work experience

    Practical work experience through summer work, internships or work shadowing is extremely valuable. Many of the large multinational companies offer paid internships and summer vacation work on projects of operational significance.

    Opportunities are more likely to be available in industry, for example with engineering, petroleum, or environmental or water companies.

    Employers are interested in experience gained through project work, fieldwork or research trips. As well as providing valuable hands-on experience, these give an insight into work in the industry.

    Try to get relevant work experience, for example with a seismic contractor or as a technical assistant with an oil company. Large energy companies such as BP and Shell offer geoscience summer internships. Closing dates for placements may be before Christmas. Vacancies are usually advertised through careers services and on companies’ own websites.


    Geoscientists often find work in the oil and gas industry. Principal employers include:

    • international oil companies
    • specialist geophysical companies
    • petroleum exploration companies
    • mining companies
    • contractors
    • consultants
    • the water industry
    • software companies.

    Exploration and extraction is a worldwide business and many jobs are based overseas. The largest employers of geoscientists in the UK are the:

    Environmental issues are of growing importance and current areas of growth include hydrogeology, waste disposal, pollution control and land quality/remediation. Opportunities in these areas may be available with private sector companies, consultancies and government bodies.

    Look for job vacancies at:

    It’s worth making targeted speculative applications — you can find details of companies to apply to in The Geologist’s Directory Online.

    The Geological Society runs Careers & Industry Days which cover the full range of geoscience careers and are usually attended by a number of key industry employers. It’s also useful to attend geological meetings and lectures (for example those held by the Geologists’ Association), and involve yourself in local clubs and geo-conservation activities.

    Professional development

    Some of the major oil and gas companies, and engineering and environmental consultancies, offer structured training programmes. Training is delivered through a series of projects or assignments, alongside modules aimed at giving an overview of the business and developing expertise in general and specialist areas.

    With smaller companies you’re likely to receive on-the-job training, which includes induction and safety and survival training.

    If you wish to apply for a research post in industry, university or a museum, you’ll usually need a PhD or DPhil (Doctorate) research degree.

    For those with a geology degree, membership of The Geological Society can be useful for networking and for keeping up to date with the industry. There are membership bodies for most geoscience disciplines and many employers will encourage you to become chartered with a body relevant to your area of expertise.

    Continuing professional development (CPD) is vital throughout your career in order to develop your expertise and to keep up with technical advancements and new and developing areas of work.

    Career prospects

    Career progression may be to a senior role within your chosen area of work, then team leader and then into a senior role in management. It’s also possible to move into a specialist technical role. With experience, it’s usually possible to move into consultancy work.

    You’ll need to show that you regularly undertake a range of CPD activities. Many geoscientists choose to become chartered with a relevant professional body, such as The Geological Society.

    Your career prospects may be improved if you can be flexible about relocating, as many larger companies offer opportunities to take overseas assignments at an early stage in your career.

    Other options for career progression include specialising in an area such as environmental policy development or hazard prediction, or moving into a related area of geoscience (for example, from geophysics into seismology or engineering geology). You could also carry out research in an academic or industry setting.

    Skilled Immigrant InfoCentre

    Online Resource Centre for Newcomers to Canada

    Geologists & Geological Engineers


    Working as a Geologist and Geological Engineer

    Job Description

    Geoscientists (NOC 2113) study the history and structure of the earth’s crust and the rocks and minerals that make it up.

    Working as a geologist, geochemist, or geophysicist you perform the following duties:

    • Conduct field studies, drilling and geological testing
    • Prepare maps that show rock types and geological structures
    • Locate new oil fields and mineral deposits, and plan ways to access them
    • Advise builders and engineers on the suitability of sites for building or mining projects
    • Plan and conduct seismic, electromagnetic and other remote sensing programs
    • Develop models and applied software for the analysis of data
    • Advise in areas such as site selection, waste management and restoration of contaminated sites

    Geological engineers (NOC 2144) carry out geological and geotechnical studies to assess suitability of locations for civil engineering, mining and oil and gas projects.

    Working as a geological engineer you perform the following duties:

    • Conduct programs of data acquisition, analysis, and mapping to assist with civil engineering, mining, petroleum and waste management projects
    • Analyze and prepare recommendations and reports for construction or civil engineering projects
    • Conduct studies of groundwater flow and contamination
    • Carry out studies in mining exploration and mine evaluation
    • Supervise technologists, technicians, and other engineers and scientists

    Industry Overview

    Future employment opportunities for geologists and geological engineers are expected to be good, with more job openings than number of workers to fill them.

    New jobs will likely come from oil, gas and mining exploration in BC and the environmental geosciences sector including land use planning, risk assessment and water resources management. There is currently demand for workers in independent power projects in the province.

    Much of the demand for geologists and geological engineers is expected to be filled by immigration.

    Job Outlook in BC


    Chart from WorkBC, NOC 2113
    Geological Engineers

    Chart from WorkBC, NOC 2144
    WorkBC provides job openings in BC regions from 2015-2025:

    Geological Engineers (NOC 2144)

    Region Expected # of
    Job Openings
    Average Annual Employment Growth Expected
    Increase in Employment
    Vancouver Island 30 0.6% 5
    Lower Mainland /Southwest 220 1.5% 100

    Geologists, Geochemists, and Geophysicists (NOC 2113)

    Region Expected # of
    Job Openings
    Average Annual Employment Growth Expected
    Increase in Employment
    Vancouver Island 160 0.9% 40
    Lower Mainland /Southwest 610 2.0% 270
    Thompson-Okanagan 60 0.6% 1.6%
    Kootenay 60 0.4% 10

    You can learn more about working as a Geologist and Geological Engineer from

    • WorkBC, Career Profiles at 2113, and 2144
    • Career Cruisingdatabase [profile for Geologist]

    Types of Employers

    Geologists work for:

    • petroleum and mining companies
    • consulting geology, geophysics, and engineering firms
    • government and educational institutions
    • may be self-employed

    Geological engineers work for:

    • consulting engineering companies
    • electrical utilities, mining, and petroleum companies
    • government
    • research and educational institutions


    In BC, the median annual salary for Geologists is over $77,000. The median annual salary for Geological Engineers is between $99,129.

    Your salary varies depending on education, work experience, position, and employer. Management positions may make more.

    In addition to your salary, full-time employees often receive benefits such as pension plans, dental coverage, sick leave, and paid vacations.

    Sources: WorkBC & Career Cruising

    Job Bank Canada website provides hourly wages:

    Geologists [NOC 2113]

    Geological Engineers [NOC 2144]

    Working Hours

    You generally work between 8 and 10 hours a day, 40 to 50 hours a week.

    However, at times you may be required to work longer hours due to seasonal site access limitations, remote location or data gathering equipment requirements.

    Skills, Education and Experience


    • Applied knowledge of math, physics, chemistry and biology
    • Detailed observation skills
    • Good physical stamina
    • Excellent problem solving and decision making abilities
    • Project management experience
    • Ability to travel to field locations
    • Good interpersonal and communication skills

    Education and Experience

    • University degree in geology, geological engineering, geochemistry, geophysics, or a related discipline is required.
    • Registration with Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia (formerly APEGBC) is required.
    • A master’s degree or a PhD may be required for some positions


    This occupation is regulated in British Columbia.

    This means that if you are working as an engineer or as a geoscientist in BC, you must either:

    • Be registered as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist in BC
    • Work under the direct supervision of someone who is registered as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist in BC

    In order to become a registered member of Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia you require:

    • graduation from an accredited educational program
    • four years of supervised work experience in engineering or geoscience
    • passing a professional practice examination
    • completion of the law and ethics seminar

    For more information:

    Internationally Trained Professionals

    If you have completed your P. Eng or P. Geo application process you may qualify as a “Provisional Member” with Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia. This designation provides member status to internationally trained engineering graduates who have completed the academic, experience, professionalism, character, and residency requirements.

    Очень важная для вас статья:  Покупка и доставка товара из Китая. Канада

    For more information:

    • Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia – Become a Member
    • Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia Online Resource for Internationally Trained Engineers and Geoscientists :
      • Self assessment tool
      • Job Mentoring Programs
    • A Roadmap to Engineering in Canada. Engineers Canada
    • International agreements between professional engineering associations
    • Introduction to Engineering in BC – Langara College
      These courses are designed to provide internationally trained engineers with industry specific skills in order to find employment in an engineering environment. They also help you gain a good understanding of Canadian workplace culture.

    Finding Jobs

    You’ll find job advertisements in local newspapers, trade journals, and electronic sources, as well as through professional associations’ publications.

    Local Newspapers

    You can look at the Vancouver Sun & The Province at Vancouver Public Library for free. Check the job postings daily, the careers section in the Vancouver Sun on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and in The Province on Sundays.

    Job White Pages

    • Available online or in print at the Central Library
      NOTE:You can only access this database from the Central Library or VPL branch libraries. Access is NOT available from home or outside the Library.

    Online Job Postings

    • Indeed.com
      Find jobs posted on a multitude of company career sites and job boards
    • TechJobs.ca
    • Skilled Workers.com

    Professional Associations’ Career Resources

    • Association of Consulting Engineering Companies British Columbia (ACEC-BC)
    • Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia Employment Centre
    • Engineering Institute of Canada
    • Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum

    Identifying the Right Position

    When you browse job advertisements, you’ll find a range of different job titles that are relevant.

    For geologists, look for these related job titles (from NOC 2113):

    • Geochemist /Geophysicist
    • Hydrologist
    • Mine Geologist / Mineralogist
    • Petroleum Geologist / Petrologist
    • Sedimentologist

    For geological engineers, look for these related job titles (from NOC 2144):

    • Geophysical Engineer
    • Hydrogeological Engineer

    Creating a List of Potential Employers

    You can use directories to produce lists of employers who work in the mining or engineering industries in Vancouver or the Lower Mainland. Contact them directly to find out if they’re hiring.

    • Association of Consulting Engineering Companies British Columbia (ACEC-BC),
      Directory of Member Firms
    • Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia: Member Directories

    • Business in Vancouver. Book of Lists.
      Biggest Engineering Firms in BC
      Also available at the Central Library 338.9711 B97b
    • Mines Handbook
      Available at the Central Library, 380 Mi6C
    • Reference Canada
      Click on “Start Search” beside Canadian Businesses, then select the “Advanced Search” button.
      Select both “Keyword/SIC/NAICS” under Business Type and “City” under Geography.
      In the top search box enter “geological” and click LOOKUP.
      Select the appropriate headings.
      Lower down, select the Province, choose the cities, and click the “View Results” button.
      NOTE:You can access this database from a Library computer. If you are using a computer from outside the Library, you will need a Vancouver Public Library card to login to this database. After clicking on the database name, you will be asked to enter your library card number and PIN (usually last four digits of your telephone number).

    Applying for a Job

    In Canada, employers usually expect to receive a resume (curriculum vitae) and a cover letter that identifies the position you are applying for and summarizes your relevant experience.

    Use the library catalogue to find books on writing resumes and cover letters specific to your industry.

    To learn about applying for jobs in Canada, use the following pathfinders:

    Getting Help from Industry Sources

    Industry Associations

    Associations for professional and civil engineers in BC and Canada provide information and assistance. Registration and fees are required for membership.

    Industry Journals

    Search the Vancouver Public Library catalogue for journals related to your profession.

    Examples at the Central Library:

    • Canadian Consulting Engineer
      Also available at the Central Library, 620.5 C212
    • CIM Magazine / Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
      Also available at the Central Library, 622.06 C21c
    • Canadian Mining Journal
      Also available at the Central Library, 622.05 C2125
    • Innovation / Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia
      Also available at the Central Library, 620.5 B86
    • The Northern Miner
      Also available at the Central Library, 338.205 N87

    Geoscientist Jobs in Canada

    Results 1-10 of 175

    Geoscientist / Geoscientist in Training

    Wood Environment & Infrastructure is currently seeking a fulltime permanent Junior Geoscientist t o join our Materials team in Burlington, ON . Key Responsibilities Available .

    permanent Intermediate / Senior Geoscientist

    .woodplc.com Overview / Responsibilities Wood Environment & Infrastructure is currently seeking a fulltime permanent Intermediate / Senior Geoscientist to join our team in Burlington, ON. Key . 60.000 — 80.000

    Mineral Potential Geoscientist

    BC Public Service Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources Victoria Mineral Potential Geoscientist An exciting opportunity to apply your expertise in this career building . and geomorphological information to all through traditional reports, maps, and databases, which can be freely accessed online. The Mineral Potential Geoscientist is an integral part of a team .

    Environmental Engineer/Geoscientist


    . Engineer/Geoscientist in our Yellowknife office. Development of project proposals, client relationships and new business opportunitiesManagement of environmental projects including site . or environmental scienceLicensed to practice as a professional engineer or geoscientist inthe province of Northwest Territories/Nunavut, or eligible to be licensed within 6 months or upon .

    Entry Level Hydrogeologist / Geoscientist

    Canada — British Columbia, Burnaby Job Summary AECOM is actively seeking a highly motivated Entry Level Hydrogeologist/Geoscientist for employment in the Burnaby, BC office. AECOM .

    Summer/Co-op Student Engineers or Geoscientists


    , with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 450 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers . that Junior Engineers/Geoscientists and Students may work on include: Geotechnical investigations or construction monitoring at mine sites for the design of mining works including: open pits .

    EJ-307 Entry Level Hydrogeologist / Geoscientist

    Burnaby, BC AECOM is actively seeking a highly motivated Entry Level Hydrogeologist/Geoscientist for employment in the Burnaby, BC office. AECOM is pleased to include you .

    Cost Engineer


    . Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers . & Geoscientists BC. Please email your resume to Fatima.naqvirandstad.ca or call (778) 331- 2411. Randstad Professionals Canada Randstad Canada is committed to building a diverse workforce .

    Regional Engineer, South Region (ENG001796)


    . and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS). For more information visit: Regulation of Intensive Livestock Operations In Saskatchewan For a more detailed job description and to apply, please go .

    Project & Maintenance Engineer


    Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta

    Since its inception in 1920, The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) has been serving the public interest by regulating the practices of professional engineering and geoscience in Alberta. Professional Engineers and Professional Geoscientists contribute significantly to Alberta’s economic success and the enhanced quality of life enjoyed by all Albertans.

    APEGA receives its mandate from the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act (EGP Act), which includes registering, setting practice standards, and determining disciplinary actions, when necessary, for its members.

    APEGA also maintains a national voice on broader issues regarding the engineering and geoscience professions through involvement with Engineers Canada, Geoscientists Canada, and technical societies.


    APEGA’s mission, vision, and guiding principles are set by an elected Council and Executive Committee and are carried out by staff members, all of whom abide by the EGP Act.

    The EGP Act is a Government of Alberta statute that empowers APEGA to regulate the professions of engineering and geoscience in Alberta. Only individuals and companies licensed by APEGA can practice those professions or use the professional designations related to those professions.

    Executive Committee and Council

    APEGA conducts an annual election for its Council, which consists of the Executive Committee and Councillors. The Executive Committee is made up of the President, Past-President, President-Elect, and Vice-President. Members on the Executive Committee hold a one-year term, and Councillors hold a three-year term.

    The Executive Committee and Councillors are elected by professional members of APEGA. Individuals interested in running for Council must be in good standing and have the professional designation of Professional Engineer, Professional Geoscientist, or Professional Licensee.


    The designations P.Eng., P.Geo., P.Geol., P.Geoph., Licensee, and Professional Licensee, or a Permit to Practice in the case of a company, ensure that legal, academic, and experience requirements to practice have been met. They also signify adherence to the standards and ethics of the engineering and geoscience professions. In Alberta, only individuals licensed by APEGA can practice or use titles relating to those professions.

    This licence allows qualified engineers to independently practice engineering in Alberta and to take professional responsibility for their work and the work of others.

    • Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.)

    This licence allows qualified geoscientists to independently practice geoscience in Alberta and to take professional responsibility for their work and the work of others. The P.Geol. (Geologist) and P.Geoph. (Geophysicist) designations have been grandfathered under the P.Geo. designation.

    A Licensee has all of the practice rights and obligations of a professional member, except for the right to participate in APEGA elections. This designation is for those who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.

    • Professional Licensee

    This licence allows qualified technologists to independently practice engineering or geoscience in Alberta within approved, defined scopes of practice and to take professional responsibility for their work.

    • Permit to Practice (Corporate)

    This licence allows qualified corporations to provide engineering and/or geoscience services to the public.

    Members of APEGA maintain their licences through continuing professional development (CPD). They comply with a professional code of ethics that serves the public interest above all. Members are subject to investigation and discipline for unskilled or unethical practice of the professions.

    One reason we are not getting enough engineers in Canada: the professional associations

    From nearly 2,500 posts over nine years, none has generated so many comments as Can you teach ‘real’ engineering at a distance?

    What you will see from the comments from readers is a deep and widespread frustration at the lack of recognition by Canadian professional engineering associations of any courses or programs taken by distance. This is now getting to the point where it is becoming a national scandal. Rather than your having to read through the 120 comments or so on this post, I will summarise them for you.

    Accreditation as a professional engineer in Canada

    I am not an engineer by background, so please correct me if I am wrong about the process. But this seems to me to be how it works.

    In order to obtain work as a professional engineer in Canada, most employers require you to be accredited through the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB). However, this means applying to one of the provincial accreditation agencies such as the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) or the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), who assess your qualifications and issue membership to their organisation.

    These organisations are groups made up of professional engineers and educators (usually Deans of Engineering Schools in universities and Institutes of Technology), so it is a self-regulating process. Usually the minimum qualification for membership is a four year bachelor’s degree in engineering from a Canadian university or its equivalent (i.e. a university in the USA whose engineering program is recognized by the U.S. Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).

    The decision about what foreign qualifications will be accepted is entirely at the discretion of the Canadian professional associations. This is not unlike other professions in Canada, such as teaching, medicine or nursing.

    The professional association will require an individual to take further qualifications if it deems the existing qualifications do not meet the standards set.

    Engineering and online learning in Canada

    Until very recently, there were no fully online undergraduate courses, let alone degree programs, offered by Canadian universities in engineering. That is beginning to change. For instance:

    • Queens University, Ontario is now offering a fully online Bachelor of Mining Engineering Technology. This program is particularly directed at those already working in the mining industry. Queen’s University is one of the oldest and most well-established public universities in Canada;
    • McMaster University, Ontario, is developing an online B.Tech (mainly software engineering) in partnership with Mohawk College. Students can take a diploma program from Mohawk then take the third and fourth year courses from McMaster University. Although the campus-based B. Tech. is well-established and successful, the online version is still in development and not yet available at the time of writing. McMaster University is another well-established Canadian public university with an outstanding reputation in engineering, especially in the automative and steel industries;
    • Cape Breton University, Nova Scotia, offers a one year online B.Tech Manufacturing degree. It is available to students with technology diploma programs from colleges across Canada which have an articulation agreement in place with CBU providing for immediate advanced standing in the BET (Manufacturing) program. Students complete the B. Tech program via distance format in as little as one academic year.

    These are the only online programs in engineering from accredited Canadian universities that I know about. If you know of others please let me know.

    In addition there are more (but not many) accredited universities in the USA that offer fully online engineering degrees, for example:

    • the University of North Dakota (a highly respected state university) has been offering a range of engineering courses (civil, mechanical, petroleum) mainly or fully online for several years.
    • Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics)

    Will these qualifications be recognised?

    Here’s what Queen’s University states about its Bachelor of Mining Engineering Technology:

    The BTech program is unaccredited. Graduates seeking professional licensure would need to apply to write the Board Exams in mining engineering. In Ontario, the application would go to the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO). As with applications from an accredited program, graduates would also need to write the law and ethics exam, and complete the required supervised work experience program in order to be considered for licensure.

    Neither the McMaster nor the Cape Breton web sites provides any statement about professional accreditation.

    What do the professional associations say about online or distance learning?

    The Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) stated in 2020 that

    • ‘PEO does not recognize online or distance education.’

    Similarly from APEGA:

    • ‘The current Board of Examiners practice is that they do not recognize distance learning programs.’

    So frankly, don’t bother to take an online program in engineering in Canada if you want to be a professional engineer.

    Determining eligibility: obfuscation and confusion

    Furthermore the whole process of identifying from the professional associations whether an online program would be accepted is circuitous and unhelpful. One reader of my blog wrote and told me that he had written to APEGA to ask whether the University of North Dakota engineering degree would be recognised as a qualification towards membership of APEGA. Here is the response he received:

    In other words, spend several thousand dollars in tuition fees, THEN we will tell you whether we accept your qualifications or not.

    Why it’s a scandal

    Without obtaining a P.Eng. from the professional engineering association in a particular province, it is difficult if not impossible to get a job as a professional engineer. Of course such associations are important to ensure that engineering is being done professionally. Nobody wants their bridges to collapse or car parks on shopping malls to crash into shoppers below (Oh, wait – both of those did happen recently in Ontario).

    Why we need high standards in engineering qualifications: Elliott Lake shopping mall collapse

    But are these organizations making it unnecessarily difficult for people to qualify as professional engineers? From the 120 comments or so to my blog, there is strong evidence that they are. Yet at the same time we have great hand-wringing from employers, especially, about the lack of qualified engineers.

    Let’s be clear about this. This engineering gap is not going to be met purely from high school leavers going into engineering programs at conventional universities. The demographics mean that many of those already working at the technical level in engineering will need upgrading and further qualifications, many while still working – hence the brave but unaccredited program from Queen’s University in mining engineering. Presumably employers will take these graduates even if the PEO holds its nose and sniffs at them because the program was done online.

    I heard recently on CBC radio there are currently 18,000 engineers in Canada who came from Iran, one of whom was the supervisor for the construction of the CN tower in Toronto. We will need more engineers from immigrants who should be able to upgrade their existing engineering qualifications online while working at a lower level, without having to start from scratch.

    I am not arguing that all engineering can be done fully online. Hands-on experience with equipment and laboratory work are essential. However, increasingly we are seeing co-op programs where employers provide that hands-on experience, often with more advanced and newer equipment than the universities have. Furthermore, more and more engineering is itself virtual (automation for driverless cars, for instance). Simulations and animations are increasingly replacing hands-on training. All the theoretical components of an engineering degree can be handled just as well online, and probably better, than in a face-to-face lecture class.

    APEGA and PEO, like many professional bodies, are basically a closed shop or guild that restrict entry to create shortages so that members then can charge higher professional fees as contractors. More importantly they are often run, on a voluntary basis, by older engineers who are blissfully ignorant of new developments in engineering education. At a time when we need more highly qualified people we need greater flexibility in accepting credentials from other countries and more openness to online and distance education qualifications.

    It’s time the professional associations in engineering realised that this is the 21st century and recognized appropriate online qualifications.


    Should all lecturers have to have a teaching certificate? Why the answer is a resounding ‘yes’.

    Using learning analytics to predict mastery: a flawed concept?

    Learning analytics and personality traits: a scary night-time story

    Learning Analytics and ‘Learning Design’

    Second edition of Teaching in a Digital Age now published

    Chapter 11.4 Open pedagogy


    How I had to move back to Germany.

    I am an Engineer by training but never became a P.Eng. This had multiple reasons. I did all my engineering education in Germany, which I always believed has a high standard on education and a very good reputation in engineering. I admit the German education system is a bit confusing as of before 2000 there was basically no Bachelor/Master system in place. Germans went to Engineering school and left after 4 to 5 years with a so called Diplom-Engineer degree, which is actually internationally recognized and comparable to a Master degree. How is this possible? Imaging, in Germany one semester is actually 6 month long and not 3 month like in Canada. While Canadian students have the summer from April to August off, Germans go to school full time! Germans have a winter semester (October-April) and a summer semester (April-August). That’s why we can make a “master” in 5 years and now these days a Bachelor in 3.5 years.
    So what is the problem, I studied very hard and fast and finished all my courses in 4 year. Yes this was possible in Germany. My Degree was not recognized as I was only enrolled for 4 years not 5 years. Another problem I came across is that I was not able to provide the documentation they ask for. So called “Transcripts” did not really exist in Germany before the Bachelor/Master system was put in place. As an example, my final degree says “Process Engineering” mark “A” but it doesn’t say how long that course was and it doesn’t say that this mark consist of 8 combined marks from different 8 courses, which I have taken over 4 years. My university in Germany was not willing to provide me with additional documents for many reasons I don’t want to explain here. The Canadian site had no interest in listening to my explanations or look deeper into this issue. Unless the P.Eng Institution has a direct agreement with a specific university in Germany, it is literally impossible to get a P.Eng.
    So if you are German and you graduated in the 90s or earlier and/or you hold a traditional engineering degree and not a Bachelor or Master degree, you will have significant issues to gather all the documents required. I gave up on it and moved back to Germany as my career changes have been much higher over here as they would have ever been in Canada.

    Thank you, Philip. What a sad story and what a good example of the inflexibility of the professional engineering associations. It is Canada’s loss. I hope you are having a great career in Germany.

    this is really shocking to me. I would have thought there would be no problems for a German degree to be recognized.

    I have a follow up question: you posed the quesiton “How is this possible?” regarding a Master’s level degree. This suggests that it is not possible to get a Master’s degree in 5 years in Canada. Is this true? It was my understanding that a Bachelor’s degree is 4 years and a Master’s only 1 year in Canada. So this would add to 5 years in total to get your Master’s.

    Philip – What kind of Engineering work were you hoping to do in Canada and in which Province? Of course it’s a good personal milestone to be licensed but if it’s outside of building design engineering consulting where you’re required to sign / seal designs and letters of assurances, then there’s a good chance you may not need an Engineering license. I’ve worked with several people originally from Germany who did their Engineering degree but work as Construction Project Managers, Project Managers, Directors, Coordinators, etc. What they told me is that they had problems obtaining their Engineering license here too but realized for their work, they didn’t really need it anyways.

    Очень важная для вас статья:  подскажите интернет-магазин украинских товаров в Канаде

    This is Kenny from Germany .I would really like to live and work in Canada! I have two questions I hope somebody can help me :/.
    I am about to visit a University and to get a Engineering degree in either Mechanical or Chemical Engineering.
    Are these good degrees to have chances on the canadian Job Market as a German or should I go for something completly different ?
    And another question of mine :
    Are German Universities well known and renowned in Canada ? I have an offer from an english University if thats better I will go for it and get a degree from the UK (If Canadians care ) �� .
    Any advice is appreciated .I really want to immigrate to Canada I love BC Whistler and the Bikeparks:D
    Kind regards

    first of all in CBU there is no one year B .Tech Manufacturing , it takes 2 years for transfer Technologiest graduated
    and based on full time and some courses you could do online, and also depend on your background experience
    I did same program ,I have 30 years experience and P.eng need to visit me for consulting the mechanical problem
    so, what is the important is experience not the theoric information, student learning at university, you can find all
    formula in google, 50 years ago you didn’t have this chance to get formula or engineering knowledge from google,
    in that time you should go to university or Technical college to learn the theory, todays is different,even unibersities
    getting help from Internet,not anymore the university is the source of knowledge, now source of knowledge is
    Internet, then you would be able to complete a program faster than years before, even the Rating of universities is not
    a factor, as I said all information you getting for Internet, and universities just does the coordination and co-operation
    with student for more and better understanding, I am graduated for B.Tech Manufacturing making $80000.00
    and I have learned alot, to me CBU is one of best University in CANADA

    Do you mean UBC (University of British Columbia, BC) or CBU (Cape Breton University, NS)?

    Alex should reply but I’m pretty sure he means Cape Breton University, not University of British Columbia

    According to the US accreditation site for ABET, there are several online accredited degrees. However, I am not sure how ABET fits into the Canadian accreditation via Washington Accord. There is a flow chart here on the ABET site, but I don’t know enough about Canadian regulations to be confident that the degrees would be eligible for a Professional Engineer certification.

    Do u think i can work in canada as an engineer ? My degree is ABET accredited .. If not what shall i do

    Hi. I have an undergraduate degree in civil engineering, and a master degree in construction management from the U.K.

    Is my master degree accepted for P.Eng in Canada?

    I can’t answer that – you will need to ask the professional engineering association in the province in which you wish to work, but usually if it is accepted in one province it also will be accepted in the others, so try Professional Engineers of Ontario

    Hi Yemi,
    What province / City did you plan on working in Canada? Then Tony is correct, you can refer to the association’s website for how to apply and what is required. They usually have videos and information to help understand what is required too.

    In general though academic Construction Management isn’t applicable for Engineering licenses here. I’ve worked with many Construction Managers in Canada and less then maybe 5% of them I would say have an Engineering license so you wouldn’t even need it. This includes Construction Managers originally from Germany who I met. This is because Construction Managers aren’t designing or really practicing Engineering. They are however managing building construction and typically making a lot more money then licensed Engineers here so there’s that.

    If you wanted an Engineering license in Canada, it would be based on the Civil Engineering bachelors. Licenses are typically based on Civil, Structural, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, and recently Software Engineering. Most useful when your job requires you to sign / seal letters of assurances, engineering designs for building permits / tenders, and memos for government agencies. Otherwise if your job doesn’t require that, such as in Project Management or Construction Manager role, then it doesn’t require an Engineering license here.

    Being a licensed Engineer, my understanding is that you’d have come and work here for at least 1 year in a Canadian Engineering company under a P.Eng. Apply to the Engineering Association, and take a couple of courses they would assign to meet the application of theory requirements. Your past work experience in Civil needs to include practical design, and project management experience. Preferably managing people too. You’d be interviewed by the association on general engineering knowledge and to discuss your past experience. And the Professional practice exam which is a law and ethics test and essay you’d have to pass but it’s not too hard. Overall expect the process to take 18 – 24 months.

    Hello, I have Bsc and Msc in process engineering from Germany. I have worked for 5yrs. Am I eligible to have P. Eng in Canada?

    Hi, Martin
    See my response to Opeyemi – you need to contact the P.Eng. association in one of the provinces as there is no national accreditation agency for engineers in Canada – it’s a provincial responsibility.

    Hi Martin, please see my comment above for Yemi.

    With that said, a background in Process Engineering would mean you’d apply as a Chemical Engineer here for your license. Apply to the provincial engineering association, work for a year minimum here first under a P.Eng., take the required courses, write the law / ethics professional practice exam, and interview by the association.

    With that said, I’m not a 100% sure if you even need your license to work in the oil / gas industry besides improving your business card and email footers with the P.Eng after your name. Maybe try applying for jobs in that industry here first and see.

    PEO Ontario is a very bad organization that assigns you a lot of courses if you do not have a degree from Canada that makes many people find job in some other non regulated field.

    The existing engineers try to scare new people from joining the organization as it affects their ego.I hope government does something to stop this monopoly and bring up some sort of an evaluation easier for newcomers.

    The existing P.Eng’s should do similar courses every year and they will learn how hard they make the life of new aspirants.

    My friend who worked in Dubai for 5 years was told to do 4 courses directly.

    Experience of 5 years in Dubai in any field of Engineering is much better and more solid than 15 years of experience in Canada. However, PEO look down at all foreign graduates and experience. BS degree in Engineering in Canada is 4 years and can be done even in 3.5 years with summer courses.

    “BS degree in Engineering in Canada is 4 years and can be done even in 3.5 years with summer courses.”

    That’s simply not true. Canadian engineering schools do not have the ability to create an engineering grad in 3.5 years. Many key courses are only offered during the fall/winter sessions. Most take 5 years, 6-7 years if an internship is involved.

    I’m not sure about PEO. I obtained my license from APEGA in Alberta. I’ve met many licensed Engineers who originally obtained their original Engineering education from India, China, UK, Germany, etc. Granted they had to work in Canada under a P.Eng for a year or so, go through the interview, testing process with APEGA or EGBC but it was done.

    P.Eng. are required to take continuing professional development (CPD) hours every year so that’s courses, seminars, mentoring, engineering journals, etc. to maintain the license if that helps.

    It’s true though if you obtain our Engineering degree from a Canadian University, in general you can go work as a Junior Engineer, register as an Engineer-in Training (EIT), and build your work experience. After 4 – 5 years, apply to upgrade your EIT to a P.Eng. by writing the professional practice exam and checking your work references. It’s a much smoother application process then just arriving here and trying to apply straight for your P.Eng. just because they don’t know anything about you but not impossible.

    I obtained my Engineering license (P.Eng.) in Alberta and then in BC in 2012. I found the process long (18 months from start to finish) but not difficult compared to getting a MBA for example. You have to follow APEGA’s process with the transcripts, professional practice exam, and work summary reports. I would say the quantity of work is comparable to taking maybe 1 or 2 side night courses. The reason why I needed to obtain my license is just because I work as a Mechanical Engineering Consultant on building projects. This includes HVAC, Plumbing, and Energy modeling design. For permitting, the design drawings and letters of assurance need to be signed / sealed by a licensed Engineer so that’s mainly why I needed to be licensed. Also sometimes the utilities and government authorities asked for signed / sealed memos, and calculations. I’ve also been through a random professional practice review with the Engineering association which was fine. They just evaluated my project work and interviewed me on what I sign / seal.

    Engineering concepts are the same throughout the world, however I respect the codes / standards are different in terms of buildings, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, Structural, Fire safety, etc. So it’s not a bad idea to have new Engineers to Canada work under a Canadian trained P.Eng. on building design projects to get used to the codes / standards and bylaws here with integrating that in to their designs. Whether as a structural, electrical, mechanical, or civil Engineer. After 1 – 2 years of Canadian Engineering experience, I met the associations Canadian work experience requirements to obtain my license.

    With that said, outside of building design consulting, my understanding is you don’t need to worry about obtaining your Canadian Engineering license to work in Canada. If you don’t need to sign / seal letters of assurances and permit drawings for your job such as in Project Management, Technology, Product design, Software, Manufacturing, Quality Control, Automation, Controls, Technical Sales, etc. then I wouldn’t worry about obtaining your license unless it’s just a personal goal to add that designation to your business cards and email footers. Keep in mind you do have to pay annual membership fees and be subject to random professional practice reviews. It’s true that you can’t legally have ‘Engineer’ in your job title in Canada without being licensed but many people who work in those other fields just have titles such as Project Manager, Electrical Designer, Controls Technologist, etc. or just become a Manager or Director then who cares. Is it the money because as a licensed Engineer, I know people in Trades, union Technologists, and of course Managers who make more then me it’s not that hard.

    Anyways I don’t think it’s a big deal but let me know if I’m missing something.

    Canada is confronting a deficiency of building ability. An ongoing report by Engineers Canada demonstrates development in mining, transportation, and vitality, alongside 95,000 Canadian specialists resigning by 2020. With current movement patterns not slated to fill the hole, Canada’s future relies upon supporting its most brilliant issue solvers to end up the exceedingly talented specialists of tomorrow.

    In 2011, Canada delivered less than 12,000 new designers, while India and China created a consolidated 3.5 million. The U.K. is twice as crowded as Canada, however creates seven fold the number of specialists. What’s more, no, we don’t have enough either.

    In any case, so as to build a prosperous future, increasingly youthful Canadians must be motivated to design, to comprehend through dismantling, and to take care of issues. It is up to government to set the precedent, and over to colleges and industry to lead the path in their very own fields, and through supporting the people to come. Specialists, with their blend of rationale, hounded aim and inventive creative ability, are the ones to address the difficulties the world appearances.
    The open door is gigantic, and a Canadian inheritance relies upon it.
    For Indian student,you could refer the above website for civil design training programme offering placements.

    Not sure where you came up with the idea that Canada has a shortage of engineers. There’s a giant glut of engineers, with most reasonably decent quality positions receiving hundreds of applications.

    Please take a look at this OSPE report:

    I personally know of several engineering grads who have spent literally years looking for jobs and haven’t had much luck. Even just getting interviewed is a big problem.

    “Yet at the same time we have great hand-wringing from employers, especially, about the lack of qualified engineers.”

    The only thing anyone ever wrings their hands over is pushing wages as far down as possible. There is no “lack” of engineers in Canada.

    I am a newly graduate of Mechanical Engineering and registered as an Engineer In Training with the PEO. Its is mandatory to gain 48months of experience to apply for a Professional Engineer License. It is very hard to get accepted for an engineering job because they are looking for an experience and tenure. I applied numerous times as an EIT or Junior Engineer etc…. but all responses I get offering me position for a Machine Operator, Sales, General Labor and other jobs will not even qualify as engineering experience with the PEO. So now I ended working as a General Laborer in a Machine Shop.

    Sometimes I am thinking that studying for a 2-year Mechanical Technology Diploma with a cheaper tuition fee is more advantageous than pursuing 4-year University Engineering Degree because you can land a job almost immediately than taking a mind gruelling Engineering Degree and in the end landing a Diploma job.

    Well, until now I am still trying and even stating to my cover letter that salary is not an issue because my goal is to acquire a qualified experience in engineering. I have to start somewhere. I know there lots of Engineering graduates who can relate.

    I obtained my Undergraduate and Master of Science degrees in Mexico. I’ve just obtained my Engineer-in-Training membership (APEGS) a couple of months ago with no additional courses to take. I’m currently studying to write the PPE exam and after that, just reporting experience (I have 5 years outside Canada and 2 years in Canada, so, shouldn’t be a problem).

    Quoting the book “Canadian Professional Engineering and Geoscience” by Andrews et al:

    “A report prepared for Engineers Canada in 2013 by Ranstad, predicts that a shortage of experienced engineers will occur over the next two decades. This report estimates that 95000 professional engineers will retire by 2020, and they cannot be replaced fast enough by experienced Canadian or internationally trained engineers”

    So, there you go. Shortage of engineers in Canada is a fact. IMO, the strength of canadian engineering regulation is the code of ethics, and strict regulation. Ironically that’s a weakness too. Canada simply cannot compete in terms of inovation and competiveness with USA for example, where “weaker” regulation exists, but the monetary compensation can be great depending on your talents and skills and not on being a member of an association.

    The degrees you mentioned are technologist degrees, not engineering degrees. I believe that someone who had graduated from a technologist program would then need to apply and graduate from an engineering program to meet the academic requirements of the engineering associations. Typically a technologist program will get you a year or two head start in an engineering program.

    Also, there’s a list of accredited engineering programs on the Engineers Canada website: https://engineerscanada.ca/accreditation/accredited-programs-by-institution

    You mention that online learning may be better than in-class learning, but something that isn’t mentioned or really talked about is that brick and mortar engineering programs really encourage learning through face to face teamwork With other engineering students.the workload given to an engineering student is pretty intense and one of the best ways to handle it is through teamwork. This is just one of the components that help students prepare for real life engineering where almost every licensed P.Eng must work together in multidisciplinary projects as a team member.

    I’m not saying that online programs are a bad idea, I just wanted to illustrate another side of the coin.

    Average Starting Salaries For Students And Recent Grads In Canada’s Petroleum Industry

    When it comes to energy that powers our appliances and cars however, a great deal of that energy comes from oil and gas. With this consistent demand, the world market for energy is currently forecasted to increase by 50 per cent by 2030.

    As the petroleum sector grows, so do the number of opportunities available for entry level job seekers – and the salaries you’ll be paid for working in the industry.

    There’s something for everyone in the Canadian oil and gas industry, which currently employs over 500,000 people with job openings in a variety of fields and location. Salaries range widely according to level of experience, designations received, educational background and the level of responsibility required by the position, but one thing they have in common is that they are typically well above average when you compare them to similar roles in other industries.

    Canadian oil and gas professionals are even being paid some of the highest rates in the world, with an average salary of $130,120 per year in 2012 – 63% higher than the worldwide average of $81,345!

    Here are some of the most in-demand roles in the oil and gas industry and the type of dough that they could earn you based on recent salary estimates.

    Engineering Co-op/Intern Student: $49,911
    Engineer-in-Training: $68,048
    Assistant Project Engineer: $81,068
    Project Engineer: $95,049

    Geoscience Co-op/Intern Student: $50,613
    Geoscientist-in-Training: $68,936
    Assistant Project Geoscientist: $83,010
    Project Geoscientist: $100,094

    Technician/Technologist-in-Training (T.T.): $65,397
    Certified Technician (C.Tech): $65,098
    Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.): $77,023

    Driller: $43.70 per hour
    Assistant Driller: $39.00 per hour
    Derrickhand: $37.00 per hour
    Motorhand: $32.00 per hour
    Floorhand: $30.00 per hour
    Leasehand: $27.50 per hour

    Petroleum Week

    Visit the Petroleum Career Guide to learn more about careers in the oil and gas industry, and find student and entry-level jobs from top petroleum employers.

    APEGA Engineers & Geoscientists responsibility levels Канада

    Geoscientists Canada and Engineers Canada on 19th January, 2020 jointly published a planning resource guide that outlines best practices for employees and employers managing maternity or parental leave in Canada’s engineering and geoscience professions.

    Managing Transitions: Before, During and After Leave is intended to assist engineers and geoscientists who are considering maternity or parental leave, and is designed to also assist their employers. It provides extensive checklists and outlines steps that individuals, supervisors and companies can take to help smoothly off and on ramp employees taking a leave of absence.

    “This guide will be a tremendous resource for new parents and for their employers,” said Kim Allen, FEC, P. Eng., the Chief Executive Officer of Engineers Canada. “The guide and its recommendations will go a long way to creating welcoming workplaces in the engineering and geoscience professions with good leave practices that will attract talented employees.”

    Geoscientists Canada and Engineers Canada are both dedicated to enhancing gender diversity in their respective professions, where women remain under-represented.

    Diversity has proven value for innovation, customer relevancy and project management, and employers are therefore looking for ways to improve workplace inclusivity, attract top talent, and ensure their company is on the leading edge of policy and practice. Improving career transitions and managing leaves of absence are crucial for the retention of this skilled and valued talent, and thereby increase workplace diversity.

    “Geoscientists Canada is delighted to be jointly publishing this new guide together with our colleagues at Engineers Canada. Experience and research has shown that without forethought, rejoining an organization can be frustrating, especially when expectations are not managed,” said Oliver Bonham, P.Geo, FGC, the Chief Executive Officer of Geoscientists Canada. “The solution is to actively manage the transition and this guide outlines the steps to do so, ensuring that employees and employers know what to expect; that leaves of absence do not disrupt career progression or productivity; and that business continuity remains.”

    Geoscientists Canada and Engineers Canada thanked the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Alberta (APEGA), and acknowledges the ground-breaking work done by the women and men of the Women in APEGA group. That group created the foundational document, Managing Transitions: Before, During and After Leave, upon which the new national guide is based.

    Please verify you are a human

    Access to this page has been denied because we believe you are using automation tools to browse the website.

    This may happen as a result of the following:

    • Javascript is disabled or blocked by an extension (ad blockers for example)
    • Your browser does not support cookies

    Please make sure that Javascript and cookies are enabled on your browser and that you are not blocking them from loading.

    Reference ID: #c394df10-0a26-11ea-846b-3b1e80d1007e

    Добавить комментарий