Free language training courses for newcomers Канада

Содержание поста:

New to Canada?

I want to know more about:

Academic Assessments

Learn about language, skills and academic assessments used by the college to help you assess your readiness for programs. Follow the links to two recognized organizations which will assess your international credentials.

Career & Program Advising for Newcomers

Program Advisors are available to help newcomers who are interested in learning more about academic programs at Conestoga College.

Free Entrepreneur Program for Newcomers

This program is offered in partnership with Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

This program offers individuals with:

  • Entrepreneurship training to set-up your business
  • Support with business planning through the Centre for Entrepreneurship (C4E)
  • Opportunity to tour think tanks and hubs
  • A Permanent Resident or Protected Person (Canadian Citizens are not eligible)
  • Willing and able to pursue your own business
  • Eligible to work in Canada Possess language levels of 6+ in all four Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) levels
  • Be committed to attending a 16-week program

For more information, please contact Nicole LeDuc Marostega at 519-748-5220 ext. 3448.

English Language Programs

Conestoga College offers a variety of language programming to meet your needs:

  • English Language Studies helps you reach your language goals in preparing for work in your field or for further academic studies.
  • Part-time language courses let you improve your English at a pace that fits your life right now.
  • LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) is for adult newcomers who are not yet Canadian citizens. This program is free of charge, provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
  • Occupation specific language training is now available for those with backgrounds as health care workers, accountants and engineering professionals. These programs are free of charge, provided by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
  • Language that Works: various tailored language options can be arranged at the college or in the workplace.

IELTS and TOEFL Preparation

The School of Language and Communications Studies offers IELTS and TOEFL preparation classes in the evenings for those who need to prepare for the International English Language Test (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Contact Liliana Pereira at 519-748-5220 ext. 3751 for dates and registration information.

Continuing Education

Read our Continuing Education catalogue. Conestoga College offers courses in all of its disciplines through part-time studies. NOTE: The Continuing Education application process is different than the full-time application process.

Language that Works

English language coaching (one-to-one tutoring, small groups, and larger classes) and English for the Workplace are available to individuals, organizations and businesses through the Language that Works programs. Programs to suit your learning communication needs are available. Contact Liliana Pereira for more information.

Ontario Learn

OntarioLearn is a consortium of Ontario Colleges. Through the consortium, a range of courses are offered online.

Financial Information

A brief explanation of student financial services available to college students. Follow the next link to connect to the college’s main Student Financial Services information page.

Application Information

Registration Information

Full-time students at Conestoga College have an email account, access to a locker, the opportunity for student health insurance and many other benefits.

Career Tips


299 Doon Valley Drive
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4M4 , Canada
Phone: 519-748-5220
Documents are available in an alternate format

Quick Links for:

Learn More

Please submit your feedback. ©Conestoga College. All rights reserved. Terms & Conditions of Use

Occupation-specific Language Training (OSLT)

Newcomers to Canada

Occuption-specific Language Training (OSLT) at Fanshawe

Are you new to Canada? Are you an internationally trained professional? Want to improve your workplace communication skills?

Fanshawe College is highly experienced in meeting the language needs of newcomers and has a strong track record in designing and delivering Occupation-specific Language Training (OSLT). Newcomers to Canada often encounter barriers to employment. These barriers are well-documented and include lack of Canadian work experience, language barriers, differences in workplace culture, difficulties in obtaining recognition for foreign qualifications and international experience, discrimination and lack of workplace integration and diversity programs. Funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and in partnership with Colleges Ontario, Fanshawe continues to provide information on pathways to employment and further education and training.

Pursue FREE workplace language training that will help you to:

  • communicate better with supervisors, colleagues and clients;
  • understand your sector and occupation in Canada;
  • understand Canadian workplace culture in your field; and
  • develop strong interviewing, networking and job-search communication skills.

Course descriptions

Workplace Communication Skills for Health Sciences (EASL-1012) | Blended delivery

This practical and innovative course will help you:

understand health care workplaces in Ontario such as hospitals, clinics and nursing homes;

interact clearly and effectively with colleagues, clients and supervisors;

network and connect with local employers, industry associations and employment resources;

learn how to use your workplace communication training in health care settings such as: clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, community agencies, medical offices and residences.

Workplace Communication Skills for Professional Managers (EASL-1026) | Blended delivery

This practical and innovative course will help you:

  • address the language and communication skills needed to gather and share information with staff, colleagues and upper levels of management;
  • communicate in one-on-one interactions, in meetings and through email with staff, colleagues and upper levels of management; give presentations appropriate for managers;
  • manage challenging interactions with staff, colleagues and upper levels of management;
  • examine the socio-cultural aspects of communication and the impact of culture on workplace communication as managers in Ontario;

Note: Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of level 7-8 is required for this course.

Workplace Communication Skills for Business (EASL-1025) | In-class delivery

This practical and innovative course will help you:

  • understand business workplaces in Ontario;
  • interact effectively with clients, colleagues and business associates;
  • network and connect with local employers and employment resources;
  • learn how to use your workplace communication training in a variety of business settings;
  • acquire the language and communication skills needed to find and share information with others.

Workplace Communication Skills for Writing Professionally (EASL-1029) | Online delivery

This practical and innovative course will help you:

  • develop a strategic approach to writing workplace communication;
  • understand purpose and audience in written workplace communication;
  • write effective emails to make requests, exchange information, make complaints and follow up.

Activities based on everyday written communication tasks in the workplace will help you use self-editing strategies to identify common personal errors and make changes; produce single- and multiple-paragraph professional writing for an appropriate audience and purpose.

Note: This course is for those who have completed OSLT training in Accounting and Finance, Entrepreneurship and Sales and Marketing, Project Management, Professional Managers or Technology.

Admission requirements

  • Education, training or experience in the Health, Business, Management or Project Management sectors
  • Canadian Language Benchmark of level 6 or higher
  • Must be IRCC eligible as Permanent Resident or Protected Persons

Note: students must write a Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment (CLBA) at the London Cross Cultural Learner Centre prior to the start of class.

Upcoming classes and registration

For upcoming class schedules and registration, please contact: Access Studies (431 Richmond Street, 2nd floor, entrance off Carling, London, ON).

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)

Operational Bulletin 472-A – September 01, 2015

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) and Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) Learners


This Operational Bulletin (OB) provides information to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) staff about an update to the policy for the issuance of certificates for the following learners:

  • Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) learners and,
  • Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) Learners


The authorities has formulated and issued the National Language Placement and Progression Guidelines (NLPPG) in 2013. Thereafter, they had facilitated the current national implementation of the Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) and the Évaluation linguistique basée sur le portfolio (ELBP) approaches.

These steps are bringing greater levels of consistency to in-class language assessments. In addition, they are increasing the reliability of the:

  • Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program results and,
  • Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) program results

This is why the issuance of standard certificates takes on increased levels of significance for the Department. The Department typically accepts Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) and Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) certificates as proof of language ability for citizenship purposes. Therefore, it makes sense that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) staff would need to inform the recipients of this updated guidance. This would help in ensuring that the Department adopts consistent practices for issuing certificates across the program.

Очень важная для вас статья:  Региональный парк Пасифик спирит (Pacific Spirit Regional Park)

Read more


The authorities have mandated that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) staff would need to apply the following instructions when they issue Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) and Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) certificates. These instructions would apply to all recipients of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) funding for the delivery of the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) and Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) programs. These instructions are applicable with immediate effect.

  • As a general rule, the staff would need to issue Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) and Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) certificates to learners at the end of a term with “completed” levels against the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) scale.
    • It is worth noting that, in accordance with the specifications listed in the National Language Placement and Progression Guidelines (NLPPG), the authorities consider the completion of a Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) level, when the learners achieve and demonstrate the level of communicative ability associated with most or all of the descriptors for the benchmarks assigned by the authorities in each of the four skills
    • The level of communicative ability associated with most or all of the descriptors for the benchmarks assigned would traditionally range from 70 to 100 percent
  • The officers would need to derive the designation of a Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) level from an evaluation of evidence collected throughout the term for assessing the learner’s progress on the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) scale
  • In some cases, the recipients of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) funding might be implementing the Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) and the Évaluation linguistique basée sur le portfolio (ELBP) approaches
    • In this scenario, the officers would need to issue the certificates at the time of issuance of the progress reports
  • In certain cases, the officers might need to issue certificates upon the learner’s departure from class or upon the learner’s request
    • In this scenario, the officers could issue these certificates as long as the instructor has gathered sufficient evidence for determining the language proficiency of the learner
  • The officers would need to avoid using the placement assessment results, and the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) levels addressed in the course as evidence for assigning the learner’s Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) results
    • For instance, the officers must not assume that a learner has completed the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) 4 merely because the learner participated in a Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) 4 course
    • Thus, the officers would need to review documented evidence that shows that the learner completed the level specified
  • In some cases, the officers might find that the instructor did not assess one or more language skills because the learner’s Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) levels for the skills in question is beyond the range of the class or because the course does not address the skills
    • In this scenario, the officers would need to check that the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) results in the Immigration Contribution Agreement Reporting Environment system (iCARE) or the History of Assessments, Referrals and Training system (HARTs), and on the certificate is one of the following:
      • “NA” in English (or “SO” in French), if the most recent Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) level assigned for this skill is a placement assessment result
        • It is worth noting that “NA” and “SO” options are now available in History of Assessments, Referrals and Training system (HARTs)
      • The most recent Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) level assigned by an instructor for the skills in question.

The Next Steps

The program officers would need to review the provisions related to the issuance of Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) and Cours de Langue pour les Immigrants au Canada (CLIC) certificates in their contribution agreements. Thereafter, they would need to amend these as appropriate to meet the requirements specified above.

Source: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

LINC Programs In Canada

The Government of Canada, in cooperation with local school boards, community colleges, immigrant and community organizations, offers French and English language training across Canada. The name of the program is LINC, which stands for Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada.

The LINC assessment centres across Canada can assess your French and English language training needs and refer you to LINC ESL English classes from benchmark levels 1 to 5. You can contact LINC providers directly for more information and remember to ask about fees, since some of these courses may not be free.

  • Who Is Eligible?
  • If you are 18 years or older or have a high school diploma you are eligible with any of the following categories:
  • Canadian Citizen born outside of Canada
  • Permanent Resident
  • Convention Refugee/Protected Person
  • Persons in Canada whose applications for Permanent Resident status are being processed in Canada and who have been informed by a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada of the initial approval of their application subject to an admissibility assessment:
  • Refugee Claimant
  • Temporary Worker or Student who has obtained initial approval for a concurrent Application for Permanent Residence
  • Foreign domestic worker admitted under the Live-In Caregiver program
  • What Is the Procedure?
  • An appointment for language assessment must be scheduled in advance.
  • During the assessment, a certified language assessor will determine your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills and the most appropriate class level to help you find the most suitable language training.
  • The YMCA of Greater Toronto does not offer any language training, just the assessment that is needed for it. Instead, language classes are offered by many different partner organizations in the community. The Language Assessment and Referral Service will provide the information you need to find the class that is right for you.

LINC Programs In Canada

  • Toronto Link Assessment Centers — Call for Bookings: (416) 925-5462
  • YMCA, Milner Business Court,
  • YMCA, Albion Road,
  • YMCA, Dufferin St.
  • YMCA, Consumers Road
  • YMCA, Grosvenor Street,
  • Newfoundland
  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada, St. John’s, Newfoundland
  • Association for New Canadians, St. John’s, Newfoundland
  • Nova Scotia
  • Metropolitan Immigrant Settlement, Halifax, Nova Scotia

  • Prince Edward Island
  • PEI Association for Newcomers to Canada, Charlottetown, PEI
  • New Brunswick
  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Saint John, New Brunswick
  • English Language Program University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick
  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Saint John, New Brunswick
  • Ontario
  • Community Development Council, Durham, Ajax, Ontario
  • Guelph Multicultural Centre, Guelph, Ontario
  • Kingston and District Immigrant Services, Kingston, Ontario
  • Kitchener-Waterloo YMCA Language Assessment Centre, Kitchener, Ontario
  • London Cross Cultural Learner Centre, London, Ontario
  • YMCA-YWCA Language Assessment and Referral Centre, Ottawa, Ontario
  • New Canadians’ Centre, Peterborough, Ontario
  • The Career Foundation, Richmond Hill, Ontario
  • LINC Assessment and Outreach Services, St. Catharines, Ontario
  • LINC Assessment Centre, Sarnia, Ontario
  • Sudbury Multicultural Folk Arts Association, Sudbury, Ontario,
  • Thunder Bay Multicultural Association, Thunder Bay, Ontario,
  • YMCA of Greater Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
  • English Testing Centre, Windsor, Ontario
  • Manitoba
  • Citizenship Division, Winnipeg, Manitoba
  • Saskatchewan
  • The Assessment Centre, Regina, Saskatchewan
  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
  • Alberta

  • ILVARC, Calgary, Alberta
  • LARCC — Language Assessment and Referral, Edmonton, Alberta
  • LINC Assessment Centre, Red Deer, Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Kamloops Immigrant Services Society, Kamloops, BC
  • Multicultural Society of Kelowna, Kelowna, BC
  • Okanagan University College, Revelstoke, BC
  • Vernon and District Immigrant Services Society, Vernon, BC
  • Intercultural Association of Greater Victoria, Victoria, BC
  • Yukon/Northwest Territories/Nunavut
  • Aurora College, Yellowknife, NWT

We recommend the FREE LINC programs for all new Canadians that are French or English language beginners and qualify for the LINK program.

Individuals who have completed LINC level 5 will have an English language level generally classified as lower intermediate. LINC level 5 graduates may find that upper intermediate and advanced ESL English training is necessary to qualify for Canadian jobs requiring upper intermediate to advanced English Language fluency or Canadian college and university admission which requires the equivalent of LINC level 9.

This intermediate and advanced ESL English training is available from some LINC schools as an ELT Enhanced Language Training program or private ESL English tutors and ESL English language schools at a fee of $10 to $15 per English class or $25 per hour for professional ESL English tutoring.

LINC schools can advertise location, contact information and programs for a fee. Please use the business registration forms.

English Language

Learn English when you want, where you want.

Whether you are looking to learn English in-class or at home, we can help provide you with a variety of options to improve your listening, speaking, reading, and writing.

English In- >


What is it? Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada provides free full-time and part-time classes to help learners integrate in Canada.

LINC Literacy


What is it? Free classes for learners who have little experience learning in a classroom setting.

Reading Room


What is it? One-on-one tutoring support for learners who struggle with reading and writing.

Drop-In ESL


What is it? Flexible English classes for newcomers and Canadian citizens where you attend whenever you want.

Literacy & Basic English


What is it? A low-stress program for newcomers and Canadian citizens struggling with letters, numbers, and basic words in English

Computer Access for Literacy Learners


What is it? An introductory computer class which also provides English language instruction.

«Say What» Pronunciation Class


What is it? Free English pronunciation classes where you practice with people from your same first language.

English Online

LINC Home Study

Intermediate-Advanced (Online)

What is it? Free English classes offered online for learners who can’t attend in-class due to illness, disability, conflicting work schedules, or lack of childcare.

LINC Blended

Intermediate-Advanced (Classroom + Online)

What is it? Free English class for learners that want the flexibility to attend school both in-class and online.

Очень важная для вас статья:  Опыт по CEC Канада

English for Employment Online: Job Search

Intermediate-Advanced (Online)

What is it? A self-directed English language course that prepares students for finding work in Canada.

Workplace Online Retention Class (WORC)

Intermediate-Advanced (Online)

What is it? A self-directed English language course that prepares students for moving up in their career and keeping their job.

About Us

The Immigrant Education Society (TIES) is a not-for-profit organization devoted to assisting immigrants and economically challenged individuals. Founded in 1988, we envision an inclusive and pluralistic society that provides innovative language education, customized employment training and placement, and integration services to newcomers and Canadians based on best practices.


The Immigrant Education Society (TIES) is located on the traditional territories of the Blackfoot and the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikuni, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Stoney Nakoda First Nations, including Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nation. The City of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.

Applying to College as an Immigrant Student

An immigrant applicant is someone who was not born in Canada, but now considers Canada their permanent residence. All programs in Ontario’s colleges are open to immigrants, and for the most part, the process for applying is the same as that for Canadian-born applicants. However, differences include that immigrant applicants may be asked to provide proof of landing when applying to college and supporting documents related to their academic history during the application process.

Definitions of proof of landing and the types of supporting documents required will vary by college and by program, so you’ll need to check with the colleges individually about their criteria.

If you’ve had prior training that relates to the area of study you’re interested in, it may not be necessary for you to start a program from the beginning. Many colleges offer recognition of prior learning, but again, you’ll need to contact the colleges directly to see if you are eligible.

The Canadian Association for Prior Learning Assessment (CAPLA) Experience Matters website provides contact details to service providers who may be able to provide you with support in the recognition of your prior learning (RPL). You will find links to employment services, educational institutions and regulatory bodies where you can get help with the assessment and recognition of your knowledge, skills, credentials, and language, not only in Ontario, but for every province and territory in Canada. To learn more about prior learning recognition, read our section on Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) below.

Note: It’s important not to confuse immigrant applicants with international applicants – international applicants are applicants who are not permanent residents of Canada, but are in the country to study using a study permit.

Academic Programs for Immigrants

In addition to standard program offerings, Ontario’s colleges offer a range of programs and services designed to support immigrant students who may be looking to improve on specific skills. These programs provide academic and language upgrading, as well as other professional training, to help immigrants gain meaningful employment and professional licensure in Canada.

We’ve outlined the categories of programs below. Please note that, aside from post-graduate certificates, many of the programs in these categories will require you to apply directly to the college offering them, instead of through Contact the colleges directly for instructions on applying to the programs you’re interested in.

Bridging Programs for Internationally Trained Immigrants

Programs of varying length that “bridge” the gap between prior training and experience in a specific occupation and the requirements of the Canadian workplace. Bridging programs are offered for regulated as well as non-regulated occupations through colleges, universities and community agencies. To learn more, visit the Bridging Training Programs page on the Ontario Immigration website.

Post-Graduate Certificates

Certificate programs that offer specialized training required for the Canadian workplace. These programs require prior training and experience in the specific field and are often relevant for immigrants who have previous education and work experience from another country. They are usually one year in length. The applications for graduate certificate programs are handled through

Continuing Education

Online or in-class courses and programs available in flexible part-time day and evening hours. These courses are designed to enhance training in a wide variety of occupations.

Please note: does not process applications for continuing education programs and courses. Visit individual college websites for more information on Continuing Education programs and how to apply.

Academic Upgrading

Courses and programs designed to improve communication, computer, sciences and math skills for admissions to post-secondary programs, many of which result in earning a credential. Academic upgrading offerings vary by college, so you’ll need to contact each college directly for details.

Please note: Academic upgrading courses that focus on communication skills are different than those for improving your English proficiency. For more information on those courses, see our Language Proficiency and Training area.

College Services for Immigrants

Colleges offer a range of services for immigrants to help develop / determine education and career pathways, as well as make referrals to partners in community and professional organizations.

College Information for Immigrants

Many Ontario colleges have web pages devoted to prospective immigrant students to help guide you through the programs and services they offer.

Advising Services

Many Ontario colleges provide advising services for immigrants and other prospective students in areas such as academic and professional pathways; academic upgrading and language training; admissions requirements and processes; and Second Career information and assistance. They also offer referrals to a broad network of community organizations for career advice, foreign credential assessment and recognition, and other supports. For more information on any of these areas, visit the individual college websites.

Employment / Career Services

Ontario colleges have employment services to assist you in finding employment while in your college program or upon graduation. Many also offer employment services to job seekers in the general public, often through Employment Ontario.

Academic Documents and Transcripts

If you have academic documents or transcripts from an institution outside of Canada, it may be necessary for you to provide a Credential Assessment Report. This report helps admissions staff at the colleges compare your credentials to similar credentials earned in Ontario. If you need this report, will provide you with information on how to obtain it when you apply, or you can contact the colleges you’re interested in directly to see if one will be required.

There are two organizations that provide Credential Assessment Reports:

  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)
    Provides general (document-by-document) assessments and comprehensive (course-by-course) assessments for both secondary and postsecondary studies.
  • World Education Services (WES)
    Provides general (document-by-document) assessments for both secondary and postsecondary studies and comprehensive (course-by-course) assessments for postsecondary studies only.

If you already have a Credential Assessment Report issued by one of these organizations, you can contact them directly to have it sent to If you don’t, once you complete the report, you can request that the evaluating organization send it to Once we receive your report, we will post it to your application and forward it to the colleges you’ve applied to.

Please do not send original academic documents or transcripts to These documents will not be returned.

Credential Assessment for Regulated Professions

A regulated profession is one that sets its own standards of practice for workers to legally work in their profession in Ontario. It’s common for regulated professions to accept one type of credential assessment report and not the other, or provide their own credential assessment services, depending on their specific standards. If you’re applying to a program that will lead to a career in a regulated profession, be sure to research the credential assessment requirements before you order your credential assessment report, to avoid having to redo it.

You can learn more about regulated and unregulated professions on the Ministry of Colleges and Universities website.

Document Translation

Some colleges may request that you have your academic documents and transcripts translated. You can contact the colleges directly to help you find a document translating service, or for your convenience, we’ve included the contact information for one organization. Please contact them directly for pricing.

Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO)
1 Nicholas Street, Suite 1202
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7B7
Telephone: 1 800.234.5030 or 1.613.241.2846

WES requires that you have your academic documents and transcripts translated it they are not in English or French.

ICAS requires that you have an accurate word-for-word translation of your documents that are not originally in English or French.

Language Proficiency and Training

English Language Proficiency

Regardless of your status (immigrant, international or domestic student), if you have previously studied at an institution where the language of instruction was not English, you will need to provide proof of English Language Proficiency.

English Language Testing

You can have your English language skills evaluated through any of the organizations below; however, some colleges may require one specific test and / or a college language assessment. Minimum scores on these tests will also vary by college, so be sure to contact the colleges you’re interested in directly for their requirements.

  • Test of English As a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    Telephone: 1.877.863.3546
    Use Institution Code 0211 when taking the TOEFL test
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
    Telephone: 1.855.520.2235

Once you’ve completed an English Proficiency test, contact the organization directly and have them send your official results to Your results must be received in a sealed envelope from the organization to be considered official.

The time it takes for to receive your results will vary by organization. Once received, we will post them to the Experience screen of your application and send them to your college choice(s) within 1 to 2 business days.

English Language Training

If you’re interested in improving your language skills before you take these tests, many colleges offer English as a Second Language and Workplace Communications programs and courses that focus on subject areas such as language test preparation (IELTS, TOEFL and CELBAN); English for Academic Purposes (EAP); Enhanced Language Training (ELT); Occupation-Specific Language Training (OSLT) and Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC). Many of these are offered in traditional classroom and / or online format, often for no fee to eligible internationally trained individuals. For more information, vist the individual college websites.

Очень важная для вас статья:  Пол года в Торонто, сложности адаптации Канада

French Language Proficiency

If you’re applying for programs taught in French, you may need to complete a test to determine your French language skills. Contact the colleges you’re interested in directly, for full requirements details.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is a process that gives you the opportunity to obtain academic credit for one or more courses in a certificate, diploma or degree. You will need to demonstrate that you have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge through life experiences. This may include work, training, independent study, volunteering, travel, hobbies and family experiences.

PLAR is done on a course by course basis. If a course covers material you already know, you can ask for an assessment of your knowledge. This is called a “challenge.” For example, if you have done a lot of computer work, you might challenge a computer course. To assess your learning, you may be:

  • tested with written or oral exams, interviews, or case studies
  • assessed through a portfolio of your work that shows your skills.

Your learning will be evaluated as it would in a classroom environment and your assessment will be graded. This grade will appear on your transcript (PLAR does not result in an exemption), and will count towards your Grade Point Average (GPA).

A fee is usually attached to a PLAR application.

Contact individual colleges directly to learn more about PLAR policies.

Financial A >

Immigrant applicants who are citizens, permanent residents or protected persons are eligible for the same financial aid programs as Canadian-born applicants, including OSAP.

Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program (OBPAP)

In addition to standard financial aid programs, internationally trained individuals may be eligible for up to $5,000 in bursary under The Ontario Bridging Participant Assistance Program (OBPAP). The OBPAP covers direct education costs (tuition, books and equipment) for students attending non-OSAP approved, current or former Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) funded bridge training programs offered by Ontario colleges of applied arts and technology, publicly-assisted universities and The Michener Institute of Education at UHN (Michener Institute).

For more information, visit the OBPAP page on the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities website.

RBC Newcomer Skilled Loan

The Newcomer Skilled Loan program offered by RBC provides funding to help newcomers to Canada achieve certifications or licensing in their field. The loan can be used towards your tuition, books and living expenses.

To learn more about the program, contact RBC directly. Visit RBC’s Newcomers to Canada page to find information about other financial services to support immigrants.

Windmill Microlending

Windmill Microlending provides loans to new immigrants to help you get the training and licensing needed to continue working in your occupation in Canada. These loans are available to both skilled workers and professionals and may be used for tuition, books and course materials, living expenses, and other education related expenses.

WIL’s Summary of Foreign Credential Loan Programs Across Canada

Amongst other services and support for immigrants, WIL provides a list of organizations that offer loans to assist internationally trained immigrants in establishing or enhancing their careers in Canada. The loans can typically be used toward academic programs and courses, book and course materials, living allowances and other expenses related to career training.

To learn more about WIL’s support for immigrants, visit their Immigrants and Newcomers page.

Continuing Education Bursaries

Many colleges also offer bursaries for students enrolling in Continuing Education programs. If you’re interested in one of these programs, contact the colleges directly for more information.

The Canadian newcomer’s Directory of Free

A gu > by Emmy Gnat Jun 27, 2020

Change is never simple, especially when it involves relocating your entire life to another country. New languages, different customs and dramatic climate shifts are only a few of the challenges immigrants and refugees face upon arrival to Canada. To help, we have created the MoneySense “Directory of Free” listing job, language and other free assistance programs in major cities across every province and territory.

Canada is known for its inclusiveness and multiculturalism, as evidenced by the widespread availability of free resources captured in the interactive chart below. For this exercise, we have identified five of the most important services as being career training, life skills, settlement services, community integration and language classes or conversation groups. These categories are covered in every province and territory, with the exception of Nunavut. There is also a variety of other services offered for free in select cities and provinces such as nutrition programs, youth groups, child care and early education, women’s support, counselling, family and parenting programs, senior- and refugee-specific programs.

The list is by no means exhaustive; there are lots of other programs available, but this guide highlights some of most crucial during these first years of in Canada. The government also offers many other free services, such as health care nationwide, but this list focuses on non-profit groups reaching out to directly help in their communities. The MoneySense “Directory of Free” is intended as a starting point for your research. It’s important that you do your due diligence and reach out to the organizations directly for more information.

Training for newcomers to Canada

Syrian refugee gains new skills with help of four-week automotive program

There are two things that 21-year-old Fadi Almouazzen has discovered since fleeing Syria: he loves Canada and he has a passion for auto mechanics. A passion he discovered during a four-week automotive installer course designed for new Canadians at NSCC.

Developing the program

Gord MacKenzie, Academic Chair for Trades & Technology at Akerley Campus, says he was inspired to develop the course by media coverage of Syrian refugees. «Working with the Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS), we identified three areas of skills development that could form the basis of customized training. These were construction, motive power and culinary – all aligned with training capabilities at Akerley and labour needs within our community.»

Gord and his colleagues began developing a curriculum and faculty contributed extra hours of their time to provide instruction. «Although there were several challenges, including language barriers, it all worked and the campus community and industry stepped up and supported the new students with a warm welcome.»

Finding employment opportunities

The automotive course was one of two that NSCC launched for newcomers to Canada. Several students have already found work or entered into apprenticeships with local businesses.

They include Fadi, who is looking forward to an apprenticeship opportunity with O’Regan’s Automotive Group as he makes a fresh start in his new home.

«Having the chance to take the customized training course introduced me to new skills and also my love of this work,» Fadi says. «The teachers were great and I found out I really liked working on cars.»

Courses in Languages in Canada 2020

Top Courses in Languages in Canada 2020

Fields of Study

55 Results in Languages, Canada

English Language Course — Australia

MyStay ENGLISH (MSE), a new way to fast track your English Language learning in Australia!

English Language Learning (ELL)

The English Language Learning (ELL) program is an intensive, five-semester, five-level, full–time program for students who speak English as a second language. This progr . Read more

Course: Academic English

This course allows students to improve their reading skills and grammar accuracy in both spoken and written English. In this class, a wide variety of reading texts are studied . Read more

English for Academic Purposes

The English for Academic Purposes Program is a preparatory program that develops core English Language skills within a post-secondary context. This enables students to approac . Read more

EAP – English for Academic Purposes

Fanshawe’s 10-level EAP program is certified by Languages Canada and meets the language requirements for admission to Western University, Fanshawe and many other Ontario colle . Read more

Intensive English Immersion Courses

Do you intend on pursuing higher education in English? Do you envision living or working in an environment where you need English? Register for intensive English immersion cou . Read more

Global English Programs

Diverse English programs to help you achieve your goals.

Combined Level 5 TEFL Course (168 hours)

We only offer one course because we want all our students to have the best access to global TEFL opportunities. We are the world’s only TEFL course provider that has received . Read more

Home Tuition Courses

Join a Homelingua one to one English home tuition course and experience a unique way of learning English. You will live and study in the home of your teacher, who will embrace . Read more

University Pathway Program

We offer six levels of English, from Basic to Advanced, and three different levels of Business English classes. Morning classes consist of these different levels, and afternoo . Read more

English Language Course — United Kingdom

MyStay ENGLISH (MSE), a new way to fast track your English Language learning in the UK!

English Language Course — USA

MyStay ENGLISH (MSE), a new way to fast track your English Language learning in the USA!

English Language Course — Ireland

MyStay ENGLISH (MSE), a new way to fast track your English Language learning in Ireland!

English Language Course — Canada

MyStay ENGLISH (MSE), a new way to fast track your English Language learning in Canada!

English Language Course

MyStay ENGLISH (MSE), a new way to fast track your English Language learning.

Fields of Study


<< tt('website__program_pages__new_num_programs_found').replace('‘, num_programs) >>

Browse thousands of study programs from around the world.

Higher education is more than a college degree. ACADEMICCOURSES connects students with educators providing courses, preparatory years, short programs, certificates, diplomas, and more. ACADEMICCOURSES is part of the Keystone Academic Solutions family of student-centered websites that help students and higher education institutions find each other online. Trusted by students since 2002, ACADEMICCOURSES is your multilingual gateway to higher and continuing education close to home and around the world.

Добавить комментарий